Who doesn’t love Americana décor around their home? This simple flag can add a touch of American pride to any bedroom, living room, front door or patio. An added bonus is the main material is free from your local hardware store; paint stirrers!
- 8 – Paint stirrers
- Newspaper to cover your workspace
- Painter’s tape
- Red, white, blue and gold acrylic paint
- Antiquing medium acrylic paint
- Paint brush
- Glue (a hot glue gun works!)
- Wooden star adornment
- Rope, cord or twine
- Staple gun
- Layout the paint stirrers as pictured below. Please note, you need eight paint stirrers. One will be cut in half to support and hold together your flag!
- Lay three of the stirrers together and tape off the section you want painted blue. For a more fluid look, paint both sides and the edges of the stirrers.
- When the blue paint is completely dry, tape the edges of the blue section to maintain a straight line while paining the rest of the stirrers. Beginning with the top stirrer, alternate between red and white.
- If you want a more distressed look, the next step is sanding. Without applying too much pressure since the paint stirrers are thin, sand all of the edges.
- Next, using a clean paint brush, brush the entire flag with the antiquing medium. The below picture shows the difference between using the antiquing (top three) and not (bottom four).
- Now it’s time to paint your star. You can really choose any color or decoration. As you can see below, I chose gold!
- Cut or break the remaining paint stirrer in half. Adhere the two sections to the back of the flag like the below. I used a glue gun. Next take approximately 18 inches of thin rope, cord or twine and tie the ends in a knot. Then, staple the material to the paint stirrers as seen below.
- Lastly, turn your flag over and glue the star in the middle of the blue section.
- If you plan on using outdoors, I would recommend using a spray sealer.