Mothers hold their children’s hands for a short while, but their hearts forever
– Author Unknown
Flowers are blooming, the sun is shining brighter, grass is getting greener, and spring has finally sprung! This month, we celebrate Mother’s Day. According to Wikipedia, Mother’s Day is “a celebration honoring mothers and motherhood, maternal bonds, and the influence of mothers in society.” President Woodrow Wilson made Mother’s Day a national holiday in 1914, and it has since grown to be celebrated in over 100 countries around the world at various times of the year.
This year, Mother’s Day is particularly special to me because in just a few short weeks, my husband and I will welcome our first child. I have been dreaming of holding our daughter in my arms for the first time, and finally that moment is almost here! Becoming a mother has been such an incredible journey so far. So many changes have taken place these past eight months, from turning our guest bedroom into her nursery, to preparing for the new lifestyle that we will have as a family of three. Before long, we will have this beautiful child who will be completely dependent upon us for everything she needs in her life! I welcome this challenge with open arms, thanks to the unwavering support of my family and friends throughout this pregnancy. Also, having such a wonderful mother myself certainly helps! I’m just as excited about giving her the gift of becoming a grandmother as I am about becoming a mother!
Speaking of gifts, many of us have been seeking out the perfect Mother’s Day gift to give our loved ones. Sometimes it’s hard to come up with good ideas, and thankfully there are plenty of options out there to help us decide. Here are some ideas:
- Compose a coupon book for mom with coupons such as doing different household chores, breakfast in bed, a night off from cooking, washing the car, baking her a batch of cookies, and babysitting for younger siblings, to name a few.
- Compose a handmade scrapbook or online photo book of your favorite family photos for mom. There are plenty of opportunities to get creative with this; you can insert favorite quotes and poems for mom to really personalize the book.
- Plan a fun family outing for mom, such as a picnic, a day at the beach, movie day (matinee’s are great!), going to a local museum, or sporting event.
- Make a personalized card for mom and express your appreciation for her.
- Paint a picture for mom to hang up in her office or at home. It doesn’t have to be perfect, as long as it comes from the heart.
- For husbands seeking gift ideas, a nice dinner out is a usually a good choice, but putting in the effort to cook a homemade meal for your spouse will truly make the day special. No need to worry if you’re not a gourmet chef, your wife will certainly appreciate the time and effort involved. Just don’t forget to do the dishes and clean up the kitchen afterwards!
In doing some research, I have found a fantastic source of gift idea information at www.gifts.com. They have tons of suggestions based on mom’s personality, from the sporty mom to the hipster mom and practically everything in between! There are price categories also, which is perfect for those of us on a budget.
Keep in mind the most treasured gifts are usually those that money cannot buy. To this day, my mom still has some of the drawings, cards, and art projects that I made for her almost 30 years ago!
I’d like to sincerely wish all of the women who make a difference in our lives a wonderful Mother’s Day. All of the love that you give us will be with us forever. Finally to my mother, who is the most incredible woman in this entire world, I am truly honored to not only call you my mother, but my best friend as well. Thank you for your love, dedication, and support that you have provided me all these years.