AER (Army Emergency Relief) is a private nonprofit organization incorporated in 1942 by the Secretary of War and the Army Chief of Staff. AER’s mission is to provide emergency financial assistance to Soldiers and their Families. Assistance is provided to:
- Active duty Soldiers (single or married) and their ID card family members.
- ARNG and USAR Soldiers on continuous active duty for more than 30 days (Title 10) and their ID card family members.
- Soldiers retired from active duty for longevity or physical disability and their ID card family members.
- Retired ARNG and USAR Soldiers (age 60+) and their ID card family members.
- Surviving spouses and orphans of Soldiers who died while on active duty or after they retired.
All Soldiers (Enlisted or Officer) now have direct access to AER assistance by calling for an appointment and completing the AER Application Packet, WITH THE FOLLOWING EXCEPTIONS:
- Soldiers E1 to E4 in IET (Basic or AIT) or with less than 12 months time in service must have the signature of the Unit Commander or First Sergeant
- All Soldiers (Enlisted or Officer) who have 2 assists within a 12 month period or who have been identified as a “High Risk” Soldier will require the Commander’s review of their AER application prior to making an appointment
For WALK-IN assistance, Active Duty Soldiers can use Commander Referral with approval by Unit Commander of First Sergeant. Commander Referral AER Loans are limited to $1,500 or less.
Emergency travel requests always take priority and do not require an appointment due to time constraints.
For more information or to schedule an appointment, please call 706-791-3579.
AER Helps With Funds For:
- Medical/dental co-pays
- Emergency travel
- Travel funds for relocation (PCS)
- Personal needs when pay is delayed or stolen
- Funeral expenses
- Vehicle repair
- Replacement vehicle when repairs exceed value
- Rental vehicle
- Essential furniture
- Car seats
- Cranial helmets
- Repair/replacement of HVAC
- Repair/replacement of major appliances
AER Assistance is given as:
- An interest-free loan
- Partial loan and partial grant
- A grant (an outright gift of funds) if repayment of loan will cause undue hardship
Bring the following documents to your appointment:
- Military ID card
- Most recent end of month Leave and Earning Statement
- Proof of other household income
- Substantiating documents (emergency leave form, military orders, car repair estimate, utility bill, lease, etc.)
- Power of Attorney (required for Spouses)
If after hours, or more than 50 miles from Fort Gordon, call the American Red Cross at 1-877-272-7337.
AER also provides undergraduate-level education SCHOLARSHIPS, based primarily on financial need, to children & Spouses of Soldiers (active & retired).Pinterest