If you are anything like me, the warmer weather makes me want to enhance my curb appeal. “Welcome spring and color!” An expensive way to make your front porch pop is by adding an outdoor sign. The fun part about this craft is being able to make it your own. The color combinations are limitless. Add a potted flower or two, a wreath on your door and you are all set for the colorful season!
1 – 1 x 12 x 8 piece of lumber from a big box hardware store
Stain – the choices are endless
Paint – Endless opportunities as well
- Before staining the wood, take out your aggression of the day with a hammer or screwdriver. This will create a distressed look! Of course, this isn’t necessary to create a beautiful piece of artwork for your front porch.
- Stain or paint the wood to your liking. There is no right or wrong way!
- After the stain is completely dry, adhere the stencils to the wood with painter’s tape.
**You can use stencils or a Silhouette machine to make the letters for the word “WELCOME”. Since the board is 12”, I have found the best size for the letters to be as follows; the “W” and “M” should be 10″ wide and the remaining letters 7″ wide. This allows for a border on either side of the widest letters. The height of all of the letters is 8.5”. You could make the letters taller to take up the whole board, but I wanted to keep some space at the top for a bow. I also kept some space at the bottom to add a flower pot without covering up any of the letters.
- Once the letters are affixed, paint them a complimentary color. Your choices are endless.
- Once the letters are completely dry, remove the stencils and tape. Apply a coat of wax to protect the sign from the outdoor elements.
- Make a bow or place a premade bow from a craft store to the top of the board with hot glue.
Voila! Your home is inviting and ready for spring!